|Autism Bill Hearing (Photo credit: ct senatedems)|
I don't have autism, but I imagine that it would be like living in a foreign country without knowing it's language or customs. I have a cousin whose son has autism, online friends who are parents of children with autism, and have been a babysitter for a child with autism; but I've never lived with anyone who had it 24-7.
These facts from Autism Speaks explains autism better;
Did you know ...
- Autism now affects 1 in 88 children and 1 in 54 boys
- Autism prevalence figures are growing
- Autism is the fastest-growing serious developmental disability in the U.S.
- Autism costs a family $60,000 a year on average
- Autism receives less than 5% of the research funding of many less prevalent childhood diseases
- Boys are nearly five times more likely than girls to have autism
- There is no medical detection or cure for autism
- Total 2012 NIH budget: $30.86 billion
- Of this, only $169 million goes directly to autism research. This represents 0.55% of total NIH funding."
What can you do?
- Join our blogathon and write about Autism at least 1 time during April
- Donate to Autism Speaks and/or use Goodsearch to raise money for the cause.
- Visit, comment and share this blog and the others mentioned below.
Be sure to follow the autism blog hop to;
Google+ Pin It Seed Newsvine